Valeen are hearty dolphin people living on Odessa’s ice floats.
Valeen (Also called “Dolphin Folk”) Are the denizens of the polar ice floats surrounding Odessa’s primary land mass. Many live a humble existence fishing, making their homes inside hallowed out icebergs. Others head to the mainland to become priests, paladins or diplomats. Valeen believe in hard work, to the point that communities place the value of an individual solely on their profession and it’s importance both monetarily and socially. They will often go so far as to identify an individual solely by their profession. It is said that Valeen on the Ice floats get along fantastically with Isolians, for their love of work ethic and direct conversations.
Valeen have a hairless, black and white complexion with long, snouted faces. They are carnivorous and have several rows of short serrated teeth.
Valeen have the following Racial stats:
- +2 Constitution, –2 Dexterity
- A Valeen’s base land speed is 20 feet; Valeen’s webbed feet are more suited for moving through water than on land.
- A Valeen’s base swim speed is 40 feet. A Valeen has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. A Valeen can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. A Valeen can use the run action while swimming, provided he swims in a straight line.
- Hold Breath (Ex): A Valeen can hold his breath for a number of rounds equal to 8 × his Constitution score before he risks drowning. For a typical Valeen, this is almost 10 minutes.
- Natural Attack: A Valeen has a natural bite attack that deals 1d4 points of damage.
- Echolocation: In the water, a Valeen can emit a series of whistles and clicks, then instinctively pinpoint nearby creatures by hearing the echo. Darfellans have blind-sense out to 20 feet, but the blindsense doesn’t extend beyond the water.
- Blubber: Valeen have a thick layer of adipose tissue beneath their skin, granting them a +5 bonus vs. checks made against withstanding cold.